Working with residents at Amethyst Close in Gorleston, we are putting together a plan to refurbish the local community building so that it provides the space, opportunities and a Better Days hub to help the local community to thrive.
We’ve carried out an initial consultation with 100 residents, who told us the following:
- 63% of residents have used the community building in the past.
- 97% of residents agreed that the community building is currently not used to its full potential.
- 59% of residents agreed that the community building needs renovations and improved facilities - and that it would be of great benefit to the community.
- Types of renovations residents would like to see were evenly spread between improving the kitchen, providing new toilets, re-painting and decorating, and increasing the amount of space that can be used by residents.
- 85% of residents expressed an interest in using or accessing the building if it was renovated.
- Responses to questions about how it should be used were again, evenly spread. Activities or groups for young people and pre-school children were those that residents felt were most needed, as well as activities for older people and sports/fitness classes.
Based on this feedback, we have partnered with an organisation called Volunteer It Yourself. They are a social enterprise consisting of tradespeople who mentor young adults to learn trade and employability skills through helping to fix local youth and community facilities. They will complete the refurbishment of the community centre by designing the plans and engaging with local young people in the area to complete the work, as well as provide accredited training courses for those taking part. If you are interested in hearing more about how young people can get involved, please email Fiona.Butcher@orbit.org.uk.
Once they’re ready, we will be inviting residents to a meeting to review the design proposals and give everyone an opportunity to raise any issues, queries or concerns regarding the refurbishment. We expect this to be sometime in March and will let you know in advance.