Building cladding and insulation
We carried out surveys of all our buildings and are pleased to report that none of them contain ACM (Aluminium Composite Materials). Following on from this, we are now extending this work to look more closely at the materials used to construct the outside finishes of our buildings and to make sure that they have been fitted to meet current building regulations.
If you live in a block
Check out our leaflet for plenty of useful information on fire prevention, and guidance on what to do if a fire starts in your home.
If you live in a block and wish to use a barbeque, they must be used away from the block and all fuels stored securely when not in use. For your own safety, barbeques strictly cannot be used on balconies.
Some fire brigades offer free home-checking services, so you can contact them to arrange one, or simply get some additional fire safety advice.
If you have a smoke detector in your home, it should be checked regularly, and this is your responsibility.
Should any of your smoke alarms go off:
- Never assume it is a false alarm.
- Don’t waste time investigating what is happening or rescuing valuables.
- Don’t tackle any fire you find by yourself as you could get seriously injured. Leave it to the professionals.
- Remain calm and get out as quickly as possible, closing doors behind you to help slow the spread of fire and smoke.
- Before you open any doors, check whether it is warm using the back of your hand. If it is, do not open it as there may be a fire on the other side.
- If there is smoke, keep low where the air is clearer.
- Call 999 as soon as it is safe to do so (these calls are free).
- Do not go back into the building once you are safely outside.
If you can’t make voice calls, you can still contact the emergency services by SMS text message from your mobile phone – but you will only be able to use this service if you have registered with emergency SMS first. To do this, text ‘register’ to 999, and follow the instructions you are sent in reply.
Take a look at at our fire safety tool that has been designed with Firemark to keep you and your family safe.