Please be aware there is a considerable level of fraud being reported in relation to Universal Credit advances. Please be cautious when providing your personal details.

If you think you've been affected, contact the Action Fraud Line on 0300 123 2040.


Request a refund

You can apply for a refund if your account with us is in credit. There are several circumstances where we can consider a refund. You can download the relevant refund request form below. When you have completed the form you can return it us.

  • By post to Income Compliance Team, PO Box 6406, Coventry, CV3 9NB

If you receive Housing Benefit, we recommend keeping a month's credit on your account to help with transition to Universal Credit payments.

Refund request forms

Before we can confirm how much we can refund, we will need to check if the amount is affected by the following, depending on the type account and circumstances:

  • Whether there are amounts owing on other accounts relating to the customer.
  • Where Housing Benefit payments have been made, we will need to check if the relevant local authority will be claiming any money back.

It may take up to four weeks for us to complete any checks.